
Even after the four apple beverages I had at the apple orchard my thirst still wasn't satisfied. I really need to get a pack to carry supplies in like Pack Gnome suggested back at the hostel! But I am happy with how my latest adventure turned out nonetheless. All of those giants were so nice! My feet were itching to get on the move again and I was eager to comply. Off to finish what I started; the hunt for stoops and Apfelkorn! I zigged through yards and neighborhoods and zagged past main streets and towns enjoying all the new sights when one in particular caught my eye. I put my hand above my brow to better read the sign against the glare from the setting sun: Black Forest Inn.
It sounded a tad spooky, but I was long over my frightened state from Anoka by now. Perhaps I could catch up on my wood chopping skills in this forest? Maybe I could help clear brush for my keep and maybe a meal? I hadn't used my hatchet for more than a walking stick since I started my adventures! I never saw such a façade for entering a forest, but I am out seeking adventure after all, and decided that opening a door into a forest would definitely be a new experience for this little gnome.
As soon as my eyes adjusted to the dim light (I can see how this forest got its name!) I found myself in quite a state of confusion. It was a forest full of wood, not in tree form, but in table and chair and bar form! What kind of forest was this anyway? In my awe I looked up to see if, at the very least, the sky was above this bizarre forest. I did not see clouds. Instead I saw large paintings of gnomes! Gnomes wearing winged helmets and feasting on sausages and potatoes and wine! Seeing these gnomes imbibing reminded me of how thirsty I was. Perhaps I had entered some sort of gnome utopia? Big Ole told me about Valhalla. Perhaps The Black Forest Inn was the equivalent for gnomes; in theme only, of course, because I certainly was not slain in any battles recently!
I hopped up onto the bar and asked for a chilled glass of Apfelkorn. I explained to the barkeep that I was on a long journey and needed to quench my thirst before continuing my adventures. Before I could finish saluting at the end of my request, there, before me, was a chilly little glass of golden Apfelkorn, in a glass just my size.

I raised my little glass before my first sip: To Stoops!
No comments:
Post a Comment